Monday, March 2, 2015

Serving for Sallie

For those who may not know, our beloved Pastor's wife, Sallie, was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. In a crazy turn of events, she was prepared for knee surgery one day, only to find there were much more pressing medical issues.

Sallie Lowrance is an amazing example of what Jesus calls us to be to the world. Sallie devotes herself to loving and serving others on a regular basis.

Unfortunately, due to "the poison" that Sallie is undoubtedly having a love-hate relationship with, she can't be out in our community serving.

This broke my heart! Not only are we all rooting for Sallie to kick cancer in the rear, but there is a void where her loving service once was.

So the idea of "Serving for Sallie" came about. (The name is credit to the beautiful, Brandy Cox!)
As Sallie is killing the cancer in her body, and regaining her strength, we are seeking to be out serving in her absence until she returns!

As this idea came to me, I realized just how much hurt there is in the world, especially in girls and women. I do not claim men are exempt from struggles and pain, far from it, however I felt God calling me to focus specifically on women.

As girls, we face self-esteem issues from a very young age. We search (generally in the wrong places) for our self worth. If we seek to find that self worth as the world defines it, we will ALWAYS come up short. We run in circles trying to find it and eventually just wear ourselves out!

But ...

Why can't we learn to love ourselves and find our self worth, as we seek to serve others?

Anyone who has ever volunteered or helped another person knows the wonderful feeling you experience. It truly feels so good to help others!

So ...

The idea came to be that "Serving for Sallie" would be a ministry of women learning to love and care for ourselves, as we served and loved on others.

I have no idea what God's plan is for this ministry. It could just be a wonderful time for a few of my friends and I to serve together, but I have this urgent feeling that God is about to accomplish Great Things!

The worldly model of service we are striving to embody is Mrs. Sallie Lowrance after all! For those who know and love her, you know that everything she touches becomes huge.

So with that, I ask that you pray for us as we embark on this journey together and I invite you to take a front row seat to witness the miracles that only our God can perform!

This morning a small group and myself are heading out to serve at Hope House and then we will take time to reflect on this experience as we love on ourselves and love on each other over lunch.

With lots of love and prayers,
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment