Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Way of the Cross

Mark 8:34 - 37

34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35 For whoever wants to save their life[b] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. 36 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? 37 Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? 38 If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.”

When I was a little girl I wanted to a horse more than anything in the world. Now this was problematic because I was highly allergic to horses. I mean eyes swollen shut, inner ears, throat, and pretty much my whole body itching like crazy, kind of allergic. Then there was my sister, Amanda, who also shared this passion for horses. She, luckily, was not allergic to them in the least. She also happened to be very talented at riding, and handling these huge animals, even though she was very tiny. 
We were blessed to have parents who always highlighted our different gifts and encouraged us to pursue our dreams. I never became angry, jealous, or bitter that Amanda was able to ride and I wasn't. My parents had a gentle way of guiding us away from activities that we couldn't do (any animal related activity for me) and towards things we could do, like dancing. (No animals in the dance studio, so I was all set.)
But still, giving up my dream of riding horses was pretty difficult for me. I had stuffed animal horses, played horses with barbie, pretended my bike was a horse,truly lived, and dreamed about horses. But if I wanted to breathe and see, I had no choice but to give it up. I knew that as much as I loved horseback riding, I simply couldn't and shouldn't do it for my health.
This story reminds me of a lesson Jesus taught His disciples, during his time on Earth. "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it." 
I wanted the life of a horseback rider. I know that sounds silly but I wanted it. And granted my health was a major red flag, however the plans God had for me instead were way better. I realized that I was a pretty talented dancer, later cheerleader. I made lifelong friends through these activities that I am still friends with today. I learned lessons I wouldn't have, had I not been a performer. 
God has such a great plan for us, but sometimes we're stubborn and pursue a life that we think is best. That is why he calls us to deny ourselves, deny our selfish desires, because quite frankly, we don't know what's best for us.
Hmm? Ever heard your parents say that, "I know what's best for you." Yeah, yeah I know that's frustrating, but when God says it, it means so much more!
Y'all denying yourself is not easy! There are things, good things in fact, in our lives that we seek to do and be. He warns us however, to make sure that those plans and dreams line up with his plans and dreams for us. 
This really is great news! Try to remember these words the next time something doesn't  pan out the way you want it to. You might not make the team or get the role, but God has something better waiting. You might not get into your dream school or club, but God has something different, much better, planned. 
Reflect:
1) Is God calling you to give something up and go in a different direction? 
2) Are you upset over not getting something you thought you desperately wanted?

3) Take it all to God. Take your past dreams, your current dreams, everything, and ask God to direct your next steps. Deny yourself and follow him. I promise it's much greater than anything you could have imagined for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment