Today I simply want to ask you some questions and I want you to reflect on them however you want to.
First, say a prayer and ask God to open your eyes and your heart to something He needs you to see and hear.
1) Have you ever felt pressured to dress a certain way? Maybe not pressured but felt a desire to fit in so you wear whatever that group is wearing?
2) Have you ever felt pressured to talk a certain way?
3) Have you decided not to drink or do other behaviors that you knew were wrong, when others were around you are?
4) Have you ever felt alone even when you were with a bunch of people?
5) Have you ever felt slightly different from others in your class, in your group, on your team?
Now, read Jeremiah 1:4-8.
God is speaking to Jeremiah and calling him to stand up and witness to the people of Judah. Jeremiah is afraid and says, but Lord "I am only a child."God tells Jeremiah not to worry. He created him for a special purpose, and as long as Jeremiah leans on God, He will be with him. Jeremiah had a mighty job to do. He was asked to warn the people of Judah that if they didn't turn from their sinful ways God would be destruction and their nation would fall. Everyone was against Judah, but he continued to spread the words God was calling Him to. He did this for 40 years! 40 years, y'all! Can you imagine? I know I would eventually look up to God and say, "Alright, now I've done what you asked but obviously this isn't working, can I please stop now?" Luckily Jeremiah was a much better servant than I imagine I would be.
I can't tell you the countless situations I was in where friends around me used words they shouldn't, and I did nothing, told jokes that were offensive to other people and God, but I laughed anyways. I watched as others acted out in school or church and went along with the crowd and said nothing!
I'd like to tell you that things change when you become adults and everyone magically does what they should and you all of a sudden have this clarity about who to associate with and who not to. But unfortunately, that's not the case. Learning to stand up isn't easy, but it does get better with practice.
Every single one of you is special. I'm thrilled at the opportunities God is blessing me with to know you all better! I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God has created each of you with a specific purpose in mind.
He has set you apart!
But what does that look like? How should you live your lives each day? What can we do now to prepare you to stand up when everyone else is standing down?
We'll have discussions about this more on Sunday evening, so come prepared with your thoughts, stories, and ideas.
Remember we are each other's "people," to lean on and learn from.
Love and Blessings!
Christine
No comments:
Post a Comment